Friday, July 22, 2005

ENFP

Why is it that we try to categorize ourselves? I suppose it's a method to the means of better understanding what we do and why, and therefore who we are and how.

In the past few weeks, online surveys/tests/whatever have told me that I am John Ashbery (which I'm still trying to figure out), a Televangelist (which I figure ain't far off), and Albus Dumbledore (which after reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, er..., I better not give anything away here...).

Yesterday at our college staff retreat we received the results of our Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test. I am an ENFP: Extraversion, Intiution, Feeling, Perceiving. In a nutshell:

"Warmy enthusiastic and imaginative. See life as full of possibilities. Make connections between events and information very quickly, and confidently proceed based on the patterns they see. Want a lot of affirmation from others, and readily give appreciation and support. Spontaneous and flexible, often rely on their ability to improvise and their verbal fluency."

Pretty right on, I think. Here are some other, somewhat redundant positive attributes (conveniently, the test administrators don't provide the negative attributes):
  • Curious, creative, and imaginative
  • Energetic, enthusiastic, and spontaneous
  • Keenly perceptive of people and of the world around them
  • Appreciative of affirmation from others; readily express appreciation and give support to others
  • Likely to value harmony and goodwill
  • Likely to make decisions based on personal values and empathy with others
  • Usually seen by others as personable, perceptive, persuasive, and versatile

Nowhere does it mention flaming liberal who thinks, perhaps not as ardently or eloquently as Seth Abramnson or Ken Sanders, that it may well be time for a political coup, or at least a comprehensive impeachment trial. Hmm, I suppose that's implied....

Simmons

1 comment:

Pearl said...

I tested as ENFP (http://www.pagehalffull.com/humanyms/?p=168) and John Ashbury too. Like what you're involved with at terrain. I've been taking time and reading some of the poetry there. Good stuff.