Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Vernacular & Other Updates

My wife has finished Harry Potter and the HBP. We both agree it's stunning, and are working out our theories for the seventh and final book, which won't publish for two years or so, according to a recent interview with J.K. Rowling. Well, at least the fourth movie comes out this year, in November, easing the pain of waiting if only slightly.

*****

Been thinking about cliches, and how those might surprisingly/eloquently/nonchalantly be worked into a poem. Also been thinking about wildfire and the subsequent birth and renewal, given the Florida fire still burning down in the Santa Ritas. That has prompted me into a new poem, now titled "The Vernacular of Fire and Rain." The first couple stanzas are below, but it's not done yet and I'll forego the exercise of sharing various stages of it as I did with "Wild Mint" (which was just rejected by The National Poetry Review but with quite favorable comments from the editor, which makes me feel somewhat good, since I'm a big fan of that journal).

These words cannot hold a candle
to the sprawling flames on the mountainside---

the lick of lightning, the venemous flare

that asps through the bent and blackened trees.
They cannot kill two birds with one
stone, even stone as sudden fireball...

Perhaps when I think it's finished I'll share the rest.

*****

Ron Silliman added a link to the Terrain.org Online Poetry Survey from his site, which is a great boost in visibility and subsequent boost in responses. Thanks Ron! There have also been some interesting discussions about e-zines, readings, and the like over yonder.

*****

I received Paul Guest's The Resurrection of the Body and the Ruin of the World in the mail yesterday. Another book swap---certainly an idea whose time has come for those of us with extra copies of our books (so if you're interested in swapping for Riverfall, give me a holler!). I look forward to reading the book, and will post a "favorite" poem here shortly.

*****

Speaking of readings (well, kind of sort of?), just a friendly reminder that I'm reading, with Annie Guthrie, at the University of Arizona Poetry Center on Friday, August 5, at 7 p.m. If you're in or near Tucson, please come!

I'm still hoping to set up more readings in the Denver/Boulder area (including anywhere along the Front Range) the last week of September/first week of October. If interested, please contact me.

****

There: that should catch us up, at least until tomorrow!

Simmons

2 comments:

Anonymous Poet said...

Thanks for sharing on Harry Potter and all!

I would swap you for a copy of Riverfall, but I don't have a book Sorry!

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Thanks anonymous. Here's hoping you have a book to swap soon!