Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Been cleaning my desk...

Well, the whole den, actually, which includes my wife's desk and work area, as well. It started with a new computer for me, and all the hassle that spells (like spending two hours trying to get my computer to talk nicely with the networked printer). Then a new desk for my wife, and new shelves for both of us (which of course necessitated a trip to Ikea in Phoenix). I'll be switching from Sprint wireless broadband to Cox cable broadband shortly, since Sprint's speeds during the day are old-modem slow. Alas, that promises to be more fun.

Back to the desk: In cleaning, I've created a nice amount of open space, added a wonderful photo of my two daughters in a shining frame, have removed almost all of the heaving piles of paper, and in general have about got everything in its right place.

And yet, something was missing. That something was a book of poetry, just between the keyboard and desktop scanner. It's the last place I look before I shut down the computer and turn off the light, and before the big cleanup I had nearly a half-dozen books there to select a poem or two from before bedtime.

So I've just put a couple back, and already the stars feel more aligned: The Apple That Astonished Paris by Billy Collins and Owls and Other Fantasies by Mary Oliver. I know: they're not local, obscure, newly rising, etc., poets, but they're new books for me.

I do need to pick up some new ones, like Richard Siken's Crush. Any others I should not be without?

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

The Orchard, by Brigit Pegeen Kelly!

:-)

Simmons B. Buntin said...

I'll check it out, thanks!

Eduardo C. Corral said...

I also love BPK's "The Orchard" but I would recommend starting with her fab second book "Song" to get a feel for her language. I often find copies of it in used bookstores. You can find the title poem over at her page at the Academy of American Poets. It's a stunning poem!