Saturday, November 19, 2005

Good Over Evil

A post in two parts:

Auburn's Kenny Irons scores a touchdown against Bama. Photo courtesy AuburnTigers.com.1. Alabama 18, Auburn 28. Auburn's absolutely overwhelming defense accumulated 11 sacks against its bitter archrival. War Damn Eagle! (Clearly, I'm an Auburn fan, receiving my undergrad there back in '91. The poetry connection, you ask? Well, I studied under R.T. Smith while I was there, so that's something.)

2. Saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Friday afternoon. My wife saw it last night, and is there again tonight with a friend, right now in fact. Tomorrow, believe it or not, we're going to take the kids. (Clearly, we're all Harry Potter fans, graduating from the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft & Wizardry not so long ago.)

Harry Potter and Hermione Granger before the first task.All kinds of people are saying Goblet of Fire is the best movie yet. I disagree. While it was good, and certainly exciting, it falls short of Prisoner of Azkaban, which was directed and edited so well it will be hard for any film in the series to top it, even as the acting of the younger actors only gets better. Admittedly, GOF has more of a challenge: pack in a much bigger story, with many new characters and two new magical schools, to boot. In doing so, however, there are no elegant scene transitions. POA was masterful---nay, magical---in these transitions.

In sum, I agree with the USA Today review by Claudia Puig (at http://www.fandango.com/ReviewPage.aspx?mid=91610&review_source=USAToday): "It doesn't have the rich look of the third film, directed by Alfonso CuarĂ³n, but the series continues to captivate."

Postscript: I saw Goblet of Fire again Sunday afternoon, with my daughters, and thought it was awesome. I still think POA is the better movie, but really enjoyed GOF.

No comments: