Thursday, November 03, 2005

In the mail...

... over the last two days (and at no cost to me, I'll gleefully add):

Spring Tide by Suzanne Frischkorn, reverse bound with Inventing the Alphabet by Judith Valente (The Aldrich Contemporary Art Museum), signed

Drift Smoke: Loss and Renewal in a Land of Fire by David J. Strohmaier (University of Nevada Press)

In the Desert of Desire: Las Vegas and the Culture of Spectacle by William L. Fox (University of Nevada Press)

Black Rock by Peter Goin and Paul F. Starrs (University of Nevada Press)

Gardeners of Eden: Rediscovering Our Importance to Nature by Dan Dagget, with photography by Tom Bean (The Thatcher Charitable Trust), signed

Gary Paul Nabhan, by Gioia Woods, and Grace Jordan, by Susan H. Swetman (Boise State University Western Writers Series, which "provides brief but authoritative introductions to the lives and works of authors who have written significant literature about the American west")

Imagining Eden by Lyle Gomes (University of Virginia Press)

The Time of Bells 3: Musical Bells of Accra, Ghana produced and annotated by Steven Feld and Nii Noi Nortey (VoxLox Document Sound Art and Earth Ear), CD

***

Some days being an editor of a literary and technical journal makes it just like Christmas (or whatever your favorite gift-receiving holiday happens to be).

***

Speaking of Christmas, have you read Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code (or is there anyone who hasn't yet read it)? Wow, what an excellent piece of writing: a great story packed with interesting and, Brown swears, factual information about the origins of Christianity. Powerful stuff, in many contexts.

***

Giving blood tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. The Red Cross rep just called to let me know that in addition to being the universal donor (O+), I don't have a common virus that precludes donors from giving blood to babies (can't recall what it's called; I hadn't heard of it before this call). So I've been added to the "Baby Brigade."

***

Of the books above, the ones I am admittedly most excited about are Spring Tide and Imagining Eden. I knew Spring Tide was on its way (thanks Suzanne!). I never know---when it comes to the others---just what I'm going to get with requests to review. I wish Terrain.org could carry more reviews, since we get plenty of worthy candidates. In the end, however, we can only run three reviews (generally a review is of one book/CD each) per issue, so about six per year.

Imagining Eden is a beautiful collection of likewise softly beautiful black and white photos by Lyle Gomes. The book is introduced by Denis Cosgrove. I admit I hadn't heard of either of them before receiving this collection, though I'm glad to be added to Virginia's distribution list. We get most of our review books from university presses: Nevada (as you can see), Georgia, and New Mexico, primarily.

If you'd be interested in reviewing for Terrain.org (we don't pay, sorry), contact me at editors + terrain - org.

***

There are still one or perhaps two more Colorado travel logs coming over the next few days, so bear with me. And then I'll post some of the Halloween and Haunted Garage photos. We had 150 people at our party, and the line for the Haunted Garage slithered through the entire house, I heard. I was working the Garage---as Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry---so feel sort of like I missed most of the party. We were in the Garage---me and my neighbor LaDawn, who played Professor Trelawny, the fortune teller---for two and a half hours.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

No, Thank you, Simmons! xo