Saturday, November 26, 2005

A Submission Story

This entry could be a) a dramatic monologue, or b) in iambic pentameter. Sadly, perhaps, it's neither.

The other day we (Terrain.org: A Journal of the Built & Natural Environmnts) received an electronic submission that started a sort of email conversation.

The "discourse" began because, in addition to the "Dear Terrain," there was also the small oversight of the submitter forgetting to remove the "Dear [Other e-Journal]" before sending it to us. Note also that the submitter didn't include any bio info (which also bugs me, as our submission guidelines are clear on this), sending just one fairly poor poem.

Me, in response: [Standard rejection notice, plus...] "Additionally, we suggest you remove the reference to other journals (______), before resubmitting elsewhere."

Submitter, in responding: " Thanks. Have a great day. By the way some journals allow simultaneous submissions."

Me: "Yes, we allow simultaneous submissions, as well. But including the full email to one of the journals in a submission to another journal is nearly guaranteed to get your piece rejected. Attention to detail is critical in the submission process."

Submitter: "Okay, thanks again. I looked up some of your poems and they're good."

I'll give the submitter points for sheer quirkiness, I suppose...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other (good) news, I received notification from the Tucson Pima Arts Council that I've received a $500 mini travel grant to attend AWP in March. Every bit helps, no doubt! Not only will this be a great opportunity to gather around some of our best writers and publishers (many fellow bloggers among them), but I'll meet my Irish publisher, Jessie Lendennie of Salmon Publishing, for the first time---face-to-face---as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have decided, because now I've actually submitted the packet, to apply for the MFA in creative writing at the University of Arizona. Rather than apply for both the creative nonfiction and poetry genres, as I was originally considering, I've only applied for the nonfiction genre.

After meeting with Alison Hawthorne Deming, and realizing Richard Shelton would return next year, I was sold on this genre. I really admire the work of both writers, with its environmental slant, whether essays or poetry.

This comes about, in large part, because I'm a UA emlpoyee and get very reduced tuition. It's a lost opportunity not to take classes, especially in a program as highly ranked as UA's. So I'll find out in March.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, we set up the Christmas tree this evening, and our tradition is for the girls and I to sleep beneath the tree (or at least adjacent to the tree), with the multicolored lights on, the first evening. So naturally, it's 12:49 a.m. and I'm up typing this.

At least we're all on the inflatable mattress, which I think---finally---is calling me back. Good night.

No comments: