Wednesday, December 14, 2005

AWP 2006: Initial Thoughts

The AWP 2006 Conference Program is now available, and I'm all a quiver inside for many reasons:
  1. It'll be my first AWP, where I'll get to meet many writers and editors with whom I've corresponded but never met. For example, I'll finally get to meet Jessie Lendennie, Salmon Publishing's managing director and the publisher of my book, Riverfall.
  2. I've got a book signing at the Salmon Poetry table scheduled for Thursday, March 9 from noon to 1 p.m. (I think), so stop by! The biggest session I'm up against (or in other words: I'll be missing out on) is Literary Citizens, which asks, "What is the modern-day role of the writer as a citizen, what are the advantages of a literary citizen's prominence, and what are the writer's responsibilities to his fellow citizen?" I really hate to miss that one.
  3. That said, there are plenty of other great sessions, many of which inevitably conflict, so we'll have to prioritize. For example, on Thursday from 10:30 to 11:15 a.m., how to choose between these three? "Bird-Witted": Birds in Contemporary Poetry (Gerald Stern, et. al.) and Dwelling in Possibility: Dimensions of Digital Media (Judith Johnson, et. al.) and Poets as Nonfiction Writers (Mark Doty, et. al.)?

If you're going to AWP and would like to get together, give me a holler.

No comments: