Thursday, March 02, 2006

Purple

I'm feeling purple today, and I don't mean that in a Barney kind of way. I was late to work today, and here's why:


Not sure what this one is, but it's been cultivated in our community's medians. Actual flower size is about 1/2 inch.
. . . .


Purple lantana in our front yard. Actual flower size is about 1/5 inch.
. . . .


Mexican bush sage, also in our front yard (but needs to be moved to a shadier spot before the full summer is upon is, which at this rate is any day now).
. . . .


This is clearly a non-native, in my neighbor's yard. But it sure is purty.
. . . .


More purple lantana, with a white variety in the background, also in our yard.
. . . .


Gooddings vebena, growing wild among the agaves and such of our yard. Each flower is about 1/5 inch.
. . . .


Not sure what this one is, either. It's a potted plant set in another neighbor's front yard.
. . . .


You don't have to be a wildflower to be purple in the desert. This is a Santa Rita prickly pear, which turns darker purple the drier it gets; turns purplish-green in wet years. This isn't a wet year.
. . . .

Tomorrow I think I'll feel... red.

No comments: