Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Road to Austin and AWP

I just completed my first day at the Association of Writers & Writing Programs annual conference and bookfair in Austin, but since I couldn't get Internet access last night, I'm first posting photos from yesterday:


Sunrise on I-10 as I drive from Tucson to Austin; this somewhere in New Mexico.
. . . .



A sign at a rest stop in New Mexico. Do you think that if the scorpion and snake maintained the scale they're at on the sign, the scorpion would win the battle? I think so.
. . . .



Pulling out of a different rest stop just west of Las Cruces, N.M., I skidded to a halt as I saw this giant roadrunner. I mean, who can pass this thing up? It's about 16 feet tall and, I don't know, maybe 24' long?
. . . .


And, lo and behold, it's made of discarded consumer items: garbage! Regardless, its head, and that penetrating sulphur-lamp eye, scare me.
. . . .



Here's a close-up, where you can see a keyboard, shoe souls, hubcaps, and the like. Um, beep beep?!
. . . .



Back on the road, post sunrise, but still many miles to go. Before my stop for the evening in the quaint, historic town of Fredericksburg in the central Texas hill country, a couple hours west of Austin, I saw: buzzards, vultures, cattle, horses, donkeys, sheep, goats, a llama, a rhea, and buffalo, all alive. But I saw no scorpions or snakes, dead or alive, much to my chagrin.
. . . .

Ah, wish you were here!


1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Me too!