Monday, March 06, 2006

White

Like late-afternoon packed snow, like an armada of scuttling clouds, like arroyo-bleached bones, like the curling foam at the edge of a rushing wave. No, like these:


Spreading fleabane, still curled up from its cool night rest in our front yard. Flower is about 1/3 inch wide.
. . . .




This could either be one of the pipsissewas, or spotted wintergreen. It's in my neighbor's yard, this flower about 1/3 inch across, a small shrub with lots of flowers (see pink, tomorrow, for the balled bulbs before blossom). I like the idea of it being pipsissewas, meaning "it breaks it into small pieces" from the Cree, as it was once used in preparations for breaking up kidney stones or gallstones.
. . . .




White lantana. No American Indian stories that I'm aware of with this one, though the lantana fairies do visit our daughters on occassion. They live, they say, among these multicolored lantanas of our front yard. Each individual flower is about 1/8 inch wide or so.
. . . .




I think this is alyssum, growing wild in a pot in our back yard. It dies off in the summer heat, then comes back in the spring. It mixes nicely with the scarlet monkeyflowers of red fame.
. . . .




A spreading fleabane as its petals open to the warming sun. Notice the small insect in the middle, and the spider web stretching out of the bottom of the photo.




Desert anemone growing in a neighbor's yard. Is it possible to not be happy looking at this singularly wonderful flower?
. . . .


Tomorrow ends the wildflower color series with pink, though my wife Billie tells me I'm purposefully leaving out green. Problem is, I didn't take any "green" photos. Perhaps some day. My next photos, I hope, will be roadside wildflowers from Texas, where I'm driving Wednesday to participate in the AWP conference and bookfair in Austin. More on that tomorrow....

1 comment:

shann said...

they all sound like Tony Hoagland titles, who I adore (I even sponsor his page at the American Academy of Poets- but I don't have Hard Rain and that's his newest-