Sunday, April 30, 2006

Bits to Close Out the Weekend

Some quick bits while I'm leashed to the computer this evening, burning the full Chronicles of Narnia series onto CD:
  • The new Pearl Jam CD, titled Pearl Jam, arrived with a free copy of Pearl Jam: Live in NYC 12/31/92, both of which I'm looking forward to, though neither of which I've had time to listen to yet.
  • Also arrived: American Poet, the journal of the Academy of American Poets, of which---probably only for this year---I'm a member. Sadly, I haven't had time to read this magazine like I'd like to. This one includes "poems from nine remarkable recent releases." Hmmm, looks like they forgot to include anything from Riverfall. Ah well, so it goes.
  • On Friday I made the wise decision to take only two courses as I start at the MFA program at the University of Arizona this fall. I'll continue to work full-time: reason enough to not take a full load, as well. So, I dropped Folklore & Ideology, a literature offering that I'll try to take in the next year or two. Still on my schedule: Literatures of Science: Life as a Story in Deep Time (nonfiction creative writing craft seminar) taught by Alison Hawthorne Deming, and Nonfiction Writing Workshop, taught by Richard Shelton. Awesome both!
  • Today, just by the hair of my chinny chin chin, I submitted two proposals for the 2007 AWP conference and bookfair in Atlanta, March 1-3: Terrain.org 10th Anniversary Reading, with me, Deborah Fries, Scott Calhoun, Scott Edward Anderson, and Shann Palmer; and What's the Conversion Rate for Euros? Poets Publishing Abroad, with me, Philip Fried, Marck L. Beggs, John Hildebidle, Ron Houchin, and Michael Hefernan. Notification should arrive by August 1. Keep your fingers and toes crossed!
  • Well, I guess since we haven't heard anything, we didn't win the Tucson Ducky Derby at Reid Park Lake on Earth Day. Bummer: not that I wanted the 'free' two-year lease on a Hyundai Santa Fe; rather, I wanted our older daughter to win, since she was really into it and she's been having kind of a tough go of things lately---at least in her family life.
  • Finally, this afternoon the family attended the Catalina Chamber Orchestra's performance of Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante for Violin and Viola, Alberto Ginastera's Variaciones Concertantes, and Felix Mendelsohn's Concerto for Violin and Piano. Jack Herriman was guest conductor, and soloists were Steven Moeckel on violin, Frank Restesan on viola, and Paula Fan on piano. The Mozart and Mendelsohn pieces were wonderful, especially the sort-of duelling between Moeckel and Restesan. The Ginastera piece was played well, but very eclectic: reminded me of suspenseful movie music, and I'm not so sure that's a good thing.

On Monday, if it's still there, I'll be heading up to the Honda dealership to test drive a Habanero Red Civic Si. It's the two-door, and I'm waiting for the four-door, but I'm very much looking forward to the test drive!

2 comments:

StrawBoss said...

Simmons, you are a busy, busy guy! I'm tired just reading about your life. Judy

PS I have never heard a Pearl Jam song in my life,(that I know of) that's dating me, I know, but now I'll have to listen.

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Oh yes, it's nonstop in this house, that's for sure!

Pearl Jam---along with bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Smashing Pumpkins---was at the forefront of the Seattle grunge music scene in the 90s. That's the music that saved rock and roll, by the way!