Monday, April 24, 2006

Sometimes...

... when I get home, the girls are out---home soon no doubt---leaving me a bit of time to unwind from the day's work. Today was such a day: a beautiful, mild desert day with a provocatively warm light slanting into evening. So I fetched my camera and took a little stroll throughout the brambly, thorny, altogether wonderful plants of my yard. Plus a few new paths in my neighbors' yards.

I don't mean to indundate you with photos, but this is my way of sharing why, in no small part, I love living in the Sonoran desert: my meditation, if you will:


Palo verdes are blooming and shedding their wispy yellow flowers all up and down the streets, turning the ground yellow---a sort of Sonoran fairyland.
. . . .



Their leaves in closer detail. Walk by the trees and they're absolutly humming with bees---a constant gathering for honey in the making, the taste nearly there already.
. . . .



It's not all flowers here, as the fine leaves of a native mesquite point out. Already the coveted bean pods are growing, and by fall they'll fill the ground beneath them. Then javelinas and kangaroo rats and cactus wrens and all sorts of neighbors will actively seek them out.
. . . .



But it is starting to be cactus blooming season, as this purple Santa Rita prickly pear so proudly shows (note, looking closely, the pollen-drunk bee at its center).
. . . .



A closer view of the deliciously waxy prickly pear bloom. And before the girls return home, I find that inner peace, if I may be so cliched, that carries me through the evening.
. . . .

How do you unwind after the day's necessary work?

2 comments:

gina said...

Thank you, Simmons. I can't wait to get home again.

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Coming back this summer?