Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Teaching

Just a quick note of congratulations to my wife, Billie, for landing a teaching job next year. She's been on a short-term contract at a local elementary school, 2nd grade. It's tough work taking over a classroom mid-year; lots of extra hours in the evening and weekend. We miss her. But as they say hard work pays off.

And for those of you who don't and haven't taught at grade levels: holy crap, that's a lot of work! Lesson planning and behavior issues and room decorating and standardized testing and reading groups and classroom newsletters and cafeteria food and then, of course, there's the actual teaching. Teachers are noble, critical, invaluable, passionate. But I don't envy how hard their jobs are.

1 comment:

shann said...

Bless her! I quit classroom teaching after 28 years in 2002 9no not retired, doing other things) though I had managed to get myself into private schools and contracted jobs by then, no longer working all day.

This afternoon I take my semi-annual trek to Virginia Commonwealth Univ where I do a workshop for 'baby' teachers on incorporating music into the classroon- my biggest problem lately (I've been doing these sessions since the 80's) is keeping POETRY out-

There is so much a teacher does nowadays!