Thursday, May 11, 2006

Endangered Species Day

Today, May 11, is Endangered Species Day, our day to celebrate success in endangered species
protection and recovery. More details at
www.stopextinction.org/ endangeredspeciesday.

Talk of endangered species always reminds me of the summer I spent, after graduating from high school and before heading off to Colorado State University to pursue wildlife biology, studying endangered red-cockaded woodpeckers in central Florida's Ocala National Forest. Many years later I wrote an essay, now online, titled "Living by Fire: A Journey Through Central Florida's Subtropical Forest." I was taking an environmental essay course under Linda Hogan at the University of Colorado when I wrote this, so that must have been 1996/7, though the summer stint as a volunteer wildlife biologist with the U.S. Forest Service was ten years earlier.

I also wrote a poem about that experience, though not about the woodpecker, but rather the "Great White Heron." You can also read that one online, at The Trumpeter.

No comments: