Sunday, May 14, 2006

Q: When Is Mother's Day Really Father's Day?

A: When the father finds himself too impatient to wait for the 2007 Honda Civic Si sedan, and instead buys this:








So on Saturday I picked up this 2006 Subaru Outback XT Limited, which I got a great deal on and which is a total blast to drive (though of course I'm taking it easy so she breaks in gently over the first 1,000 miles). The only downside is the gas mileage, which is rated at 19/25, on premium fuel to boot, given its 250-hp, 250-lb-ft turbo engine. Ugh. Alas, my passion for driving and for good ground clearance---not to mention the supple leather seats, short-throw shifter I added for the manual transmission, and awesome panoramic moonroof---has won out over my environmental conviction this time. Please forgive....

Oh, and Billie had a fairly good Mother's Day, too. Breakfast from the girls, a movie (Hoot), and perhaps best of all only two weeks left in the school year!

2 comments:

jd said...

Great looking car. So you went with the WRX engine in the Outback body. What does that say about mid-life crisis? Happy driving.

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Yeah, turns out I don't even fit in the WRX; well, not comfortably, anyway. But I love the Outback, and always have, and the turbo engine is awesome!