Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Thursday's Reading List

In yet another post to reminder you of this Thursday's poetry reading at Casa Libre with Eduardo and Gina here in Tucson, I think I've settled on my very full reading list (this for half an hour, plus poem introductions, so we shall see how much I can actually, elegantly fit in):

"Indigo Bunting" - this is the poem I always start readings with; I like to read it against a backdrop of actual indigo bunting song, but rarely do I get that opportunity, and won't here
"A Body of Water" - and always my second poem, from which the book's title, Riverfall, originally comes
"Groundwater" - in honor of all the glorious rain we've been getting this monsoon season
"Letter from Charles Darwin to His Sister, Catherine" - letter no. 1
"The Egret, I Choose" - I read this for the first time up at The Tattered Cover in Denver, and it had a really positive response, so it's on the permanent playlist now
"Great American Chicken" - only if I'm on schedule
"Coyote" - one of my favoritist poems to read
"Pinon Jays Drinking at Great Salt Lake" - seems to go hand-in-hand with "Coyote," so usually paired
"The Last Harvest" - the last from my book for this particular reading, though the first poem in the book's third section
"Amazon.com" - a new poem not read to an audience before
"Shine" - ditto, and I think my favorite new poem since the launch of Riverfall

That means I won't be reading a couple standards: "The Bone" and "Coming Into Premeditated Light" and sometimes "Divorce." Ah, so it goes.

When I read at Javalina's in southeast Tucson with garden writer Scott Calhoun on August 10, I'll be reading a lot more new work, and a lot less from the book. That will be cool because we'll have a slideshow backdrop, so I will be able to play the birdsong for "Indigo Bunting." Otherwise, though, I'll be reading all borderlands poems, like the last five, above, plus "Groundwater" and then new ones like "Wild Mint" (forthcoming in Orion) "Shower," "The Vernacular of Fire and Rain," and "Her Mission of Light," the latter two forthcoming in The Manhattan Review.

I must say, I get so jazzed when reading to an audience. I think perhaps in a past life I was a stage performer, because that's always been so enticing to me (at least the idea of it!), and I get a real buzz being up there.

At both venues, signed copies of the book will be available for $12, a goodly discount off the list price.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Knock 'em dead tonight, Simmons!

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Gracias, senora!