Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Few & Far Between

That's how my posts will be for, oh, the next three years or so, as I joyfully meander through grad school again, which started last week and so far has been just grand, as expected. Lots of work on top of a 40-hour work week and time with the family, but sleep is so overrated, anyway...!

One of the two courses I'm taking is The Literatures of Science: Our Place in Space and Time, taught by noted poet and essayist Alison Hawthorne Deming. I won't speak to the class itself other than to say I'm very much enjoying it, but I thought you might like to see the reading list:
  • Disturbing the Universe by Freeman Dyson
  • Twilight of the Mammoths by Paul Martin
  • Tristes Tropiques by Claude Live-Strauss
  • The Survival of the Bark Canoes by John McPhee
  • Genome by Matt Ridley
  • Having Faith by Sandra Steingraber
  • Waiting for Aphrodite by Susan Hubbell
  • Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin
  • Ravens in Winter by Bernd Heinrich
  • Our Inner Ape by Frans de Waal
  • Consider the Oyster by M.F.K. Fisher
  • Why Birds Sing by David Rothenberg
  • Entering the Stone by Barbara Hurd

I don't think I've ever read a book a week for more than one or perhaps two weeks in a row in my entire life, so thirteen in a row should be a good challenge. I just finished reading Disturbing the Universe, an utterly fascinating memoir by British-American mathematician and physicist Freeman Dyson.

I can only say: Whether the MFA in creative writing---nonfiction genre---will help me become a better writer is yet to be determined, but there is no doubt it will greatly expand my horizons in many other capacities!

3 comments:

jd said...

Have a wonderful time in grad school, Simmons. Please post occasionally so we know your'e doing well and haven't drop dead from the workload, stress or from the burden of hauling all those books around.

shann said...

That is a daunting list!

and I read at least a book a week- but not-so-much non-fiction-

hang on tight and keep going!

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Thanks all. I'll post when I can, for sure. And that list doesn't so much look daunting as exciting, a good and worthwhile challenge; not unlike hiking a mountain.

Let's hope for wildflowers at the summit!