Friday, January 19, 2007

Not a Bad Day at All

Tired when I woke up in the morning yesterday, but that's a given given this tight schedule of full-time work, grad school, and family. Despite that, though, yesterday was really a pretty great day:
  • Got some problems solved at work, earning my keep.
  • Attended my Literature of the Southwest course, taught by Fention Johnson. We discussed Alvar Nunez Cabeza de Vaca's La Relacion and John Wesley Powell's Exploration of the Colorado River and its Canyons, both excellent works, more I think for historical than literary reasons.
  • Dinner with fellow grad students at Ye Auld Dubliner, where I had excellent fish and chips with (of course) a Guinness. The Dubliner is located at Euclid and University here in Tucson, and imported its bar and furniture from Ireland. There's a great selection of Irish food---we always start with curry chips (fries with a thick but light curry sauce)---and a great atmosphere. Quickly becoming one of my favorite haunts.
  • Poetry reading by Naomi Shihab Nye, who is a phenomenal writer and person both. What a powerful, beautiful, important reading! I saw her read at AWP in Austin last year, and knew I couldn't miss last night's reading. It was a packed house, which it deserved to be.
  • Read 60 pages into Son of the Morning Star: Custer and the Little Bighorn, by Evan S. Connell (for the Johnson class). What a brutally stunning book this is, so far, and I hear it just gets better and better.

The down side, of course, is on those long days I don't get to spend much time with my girls. But we've got (most of) the weekend together, so after sleeping in Saturday, I'm all theirs (or perhaps: they're all mine!).

1 comment:

Cinbin said...

I love the curry chips at Ye Auld Dubliner, it's one of my favorite places too!