Thursday, March 29, 2007

Some Unexpected Good News

A bit of good news for me: I won the Jack Huggins Award for the Study of Literature in the Southwest (or something like that, but it pays!) for my essay on jaguars and immigration on the Arizona-Sonora border, titled "Borderland Dreams: Tracking El Tigre in Southern Arizona and Beyond." It's out for review at my favorite environmental journal, so here's hoping they take it!

The news is unexpected because the essay was submitted by one of the MFA faculty, Alison Hawthorne Deming, without my knowledge. Well, I knew something was up when she asked for the final version and a copy of my CV, but she wouldn't provide any details.

I realize I haven't really posted much about the nonfiction MFA program at UA. I love it, and am writing and reading lots and lots. More of the former than the latter, but very enjoyable all.

Just about time to make plans for summer writing, too. I think my goal is one essay and four poems. We shall see.... I've got to get the next issue of Terrain.org out first (July 10).

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

Outstanding!! This is wonderful news Simmons. Congratulations!

jd said...

Congratulations Simmmons. I look forward to reading your essay.

gina said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Perfectly wonderful, yes, I agree. I'll be in Tucson by mid June. I'm taking you to lunch.

xo,
g.

Lauren said...

Congratulations Simmons!! Go YOU!
:hugs:

LB said...

Congrats! Well deserved I'm sure. Glad that your program is going well.

shann said...

Hurrah! I love unexpected surprises and good news!
Dont' you?

Eduardo C. Corral said...

Very good news!