Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Spring of Dying Bees

A FOOD CHAIN RELEASE FROM METROFARM.COM

We know what happens with the birds and the bees. But it is the Spring of dying bees, and this leads us to ask, “What happens when there are no bees?”

This Saturday morning, March 24, at 9 am Pacific, the Food Chain with Michael Olson hosts Professors Eric Mussen from the University of California, Davis, and Jim Amrine from West Virginia University for a conversation about dying bees.

Log on www.metrofarm.com to listen on your radio, computer or IPOD.

Topics include why bees are dying in such big numbers this Spring; what might happen to the food chain should we lose our bees; and what solutions might there be to halt the die-off.

Question of the Week: What happens if we lose our bees?

4 comments:

shann said...

It's a terrible thing to contemplate, and most people I mention it to say- So? I remember there was a bee lab in Tucson when I was there, my ex had a part-time job his senior year doing recording bee data- is that still there?

(as a matter of fact, I had honey comb in West Virginia last summer- the first I'd had in a long, long time)

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Hey Shann! Yes, it looks like the Carl Hayden Bee Research Center is still here in Tucson. I'm glad you brought that up; I've never heard of it, but have been hearing more and more on declining bee populations, which is scary (especially native bees, which are low-flying and won't be able, for example, to fly over the new border fence if built, cutting off critical bee routes between Mexico and the U.S.).

jd said...

Not sure how accurate it is, but in Kingsolver's novel, The Poisonwood Bible when the protagonists bring vegetable seeds to the Congo from America, the plants grow well but produce no fruit because there were no bees to pollinate.

Lauren said...

There was an article about that in High Country News recently. I didn't read all of it yet. Why *are* the bees disappearing is something I would like to find out. It's just one more freaky thing that we take for granted.

and jd: I love The Poisonwood Bible!