Thursday, July 19, 2007

Websites

If I find the time and then the capacity, by some good fortune and a newly-invigorated ability to work with little sleep, I will create two new websites in the next month, before my third semester of the MFA program kicks in again on August 20. This is in lieu, mind you, of writing anything new this summer; though I have been revising and submitting (again) nonfiction.

The first is a pro bono site for The Melody Baker Acting Studio, which my older daughter participated in last year (she was Helen the housemaid in Beauty and the Beast), and which both girls will be a part of this year. Surprisingly, I haven't been able to find many similar websites to use as a kind of industry analysis. So I turn to you, my half-dozen or so starry-eyed readers---and especially those of you with kids who like to act (or even those who don't)---and ask: If you were looking online for a children's acting company, what kind of information would you want? Such things as schedules, location, production, photo galleries, about the studio, etc.? What else?

The second is my own personal website, as I finally purchased my name domain: SimmonsBuntin.com (there's nothing there yet, though, except the default holding page). I'll do something, I think, a bit like Alison Hawthorne Deming's website at www.alisonhawthornedeming.com, which I designed and built last year. But I'm also really inspired by sites such as KurtJohnson.net, with the excellent wide photos at the top that refresh on page reload and the easy-to-use, Flash-based photo gallery; and also Erik Gauger's absolutely gorgeous Notes from the Road. Clearly I'm a fan of incorporating lots of images---that's something that I think sets Terrain.org apart from other online publications, as well.

My website will include the standard stuff: links to this blog, my writing and photography, upcoming events, resume and CV, press, etc. What else would be cool? Periodic polls and quizzes (with prizes even!), favorite books and lists (ooh, how about a general "favorites" page that would change topics every so often; favorite books, favorite haunts, etc.?), useless advice, perhaps? I want it to be beautiful, fun(ny), and also deliver the good content (whatever that may be). Again, your input is appreciated!
.

6 comments:

Shann Palmer, blog admin said...

Here's the local children's theater school here- I remember when it all began here, worked with some of the folks, both my kids participated in many ways- I dunno, after 25 years they are pretty slick-

Shann Palmer, blog admin said...

http://www.sparconline.org/

I mean HERE it is- duh

Simmons B. Buntin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Simmons B. Buntin said...

Good site, thanks!

jd said...

Good think you bought your name domain before it got taken and held ransom by some cybersquatter who preys on published poets and non-fiction writers.

Can't offer much in terms of children theater companies.

Kurt said...

Simmons,

Thanks for the kind words - your new site is inspirational!

Kurt