Thursday, August 16, 2007

Two Lists

JD has a great little discusson of life's little pleasures, to which he poses the question: What 7 things could you not live without?

The givens are shelter and clothing, to which I add family, good fortune, and good health. And I've avoided the easy answer: Books 1 through 7 of J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.

Being the "why color only inside the lines?" kind of guy that I apparently am, I found it necessary to create two lists. The first we might call my broader, "general good" list, and the second my personal list.

General Good:
  1. Environmentalism (and in this day and age, radical environmentalism has its place, too)
  2. A viable democratic system of checks and balances
  3. Music
  4. Literature
  5. Craft-brewed beer
  6. Mixed-use neighborhoods
  7. Photography

Of course, there are others necessary in this list, including:

  1. Electricity
  2. The imagination of children
  3. Good teachers and mentors and sound institutions in which to learn
  4. Compassion and tolerance
  5. College football
  6. The Sonoran desert

Personal:

  1. Canon EOS digital Rebel XTi, various lenses and supporting equipment, including batteries and memory cards
  2. Laptop computer with DVD, video, music (and earplugs/headphones), and viable Internet connection
  3. Notebook paper and mechanical pencil with eraser and refills
  4. Craft-brewed beer (you see my priorities on both lists, eh?)
  5. The poetry of Mary Oliver and A.R. Ammons
  6. Tagless cotton t-shirts
  7. Some form of transportation---if I continue to live in Tucson, then it would have to be a car; if I lived where there was decent mass transit, then a mountain bike

What are the 7 things you could not live without?

No comments: