Friday, September 28, 2007

Long Time No Post

But such are the ways of a return to grad school. So here are a couple Terrain.org updates I'm excited about, ahead of Issue No. 21, with the theme of "Islands & Archipelagos," which launches January 10, 2008.

I'm pleased as punch to confirm that this issue's interview will be with natural history author David Quammen, whose most recent book is the wonderful biography The Reluctant Mr. Darwin. I have been a fan of Quammen's utterly compelling writing since the mid-1980s, when Quammen wrote the award-winning "Natural Acts" column for Outside magazine. His writing, especially his braided essay style, continues to serve as an inspiration for my nonfiction work.

The UnSprawl case study will be the new urban village of Loreto Bay in Baja California Sur, Mexico. Loreto Bay is not only unique because of its location on the Sea of Cortez, but because of its measures of sustainability, including water harvesting and desalinization and solar photovoltaic power generation. Perhaps the best thing about this? They're flying me down for a long weekend in mid-November! Very cool.

And finally, the ARTerrain gallery will feature the lush yet subtle water photography of Joel B. McEachern, who has published a brief photo-essay in Terrain.org once before.

Otherwise, grad school is going well, the writing's coming along nicely (if not, as always, slowly) but Auburn's football season so far isn't. Ah well.

I hope to post a link to my "Calendars of Sun and Moon" essay appearing in Weber Studies shortly. I got the proofs and it looks awesome, I must say. They've included a half-dozen of my Alamos photos, too. And I just got my copies of South Dakota Review, with the poem "Shine." Great company there. I hope to post it on my website soon.
.

3 comments:

jd said...

I look forward to the interview. I very much enjoyed the Darwin biography.

So you have a book proposal in the works? I'm patiently awaiting your first long work of nonfiction.

Simmons B. Buntin said...

No proposal in the works, but my hope is that the compilation of the essays I write in grad school (plus or minus) can be made into a book, subtitled something like "Essays on the Borderless Desert." But we shall see.

jd said...

I like the title and topic. Look forward to it.