Friday, September 14, 2007

Wild Mint

The newest issue (September/October 2007) of Orion---my favorite environmental journal (well, besides Terrain.org perhaps)---is absolutely beautiful, and includes such writers as Sandra Steingraber, Mary Oliver, David James Duncan, Janisse Ray, Rebecca Solnit, and Robert Michael Pyle. And (joy of joys!) a little 'ol poem by me: "Wild Mint."

The first person who correctly guesses the inspiration for this poem wins a free copy of my book, Riverfall. Select one and comment.

a. A hike in a canyon where groweth wild mint
b. Mint chocolate chip ice cream
c. An encounter with a green-footed coyote in my neighborhood
d. An article on North American wild mints in a popular magazine

You've got a 25% chance if you're the first guesser, and the odds should be better after that...!

6 comments:

jd said...

Having just read your beautiful poem, I go with the obvious guess - a hike in a canyon.

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Thanks for the kind words JD, but unfortunately that is not the correct guess! (If no one else guesses in the next day or two, which is likely, feel free to guess again.)

Patricia said...

How about d.An article on North American wild mints in a popular magazine?

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Nope, but thanks for guessing! 50% chance now...!

Sheryl said...

I'm going to go with the coyote--c?

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Nay, fair maiden.

Believe it or not, I was eating a bowl of Breyer's mint chocolate chip ice cream (my favorite) when the idea of writing about wild mint came to me. Needless to say, I am way too addicted to ice cream (it's a Buntin weakness). Halfway through the bowl, I hopped up and pulled out my handy Audubon field guide to North American wildflowers, and started reading up on the wild mints, and came across the purple coyote mint. "Wild Mint" is the result.

I'll post another quiz before too long. Thanks for playing!