Saturday, January 26, 2008

Winter Day at the Desert Museum

My younger daughter and I took a trip to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum today, which as regular visitors to this blog know is one of my favorite haunts.

Here are a handful of photos, and these and a few more, larger, are also available on my website's gallery.




My younger daughter digs for fossils at "Ancient Arizona."



A barn owl on the hand of its handler.



An ocelot slumbers in a very vertical position.



Hesperaloe blooms against a wall of adobe brick.



A female Calliope hummingbird at the Desert Museum's hummingbird aviary.



Teddy bear cholla cactus; almost cute enough to cuddle with?



A cedar waxwing in the museum's walk-in aviary. First time I've seen this bird there.



The fruit of a climbing cactus in a new portion of the Desert Museum just opened.



A Harris' hawk, the raptors that like to perch on the tops of saguaros.



The head of a large agave stalk, approaching bloom.



One flower surrounded by winter-blooming lantana.
.

No comments: