Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Dark Skies, Bright Future?

I've always been intrigued by light pollution, those cool global maps showing artificial light on Earth, from space. So for this week's The Next American City blog entry, that's just what I wrote about:

http://americancity.org/updates/blog/2008/dark-skies-bright-future/

Dark skies are on my mind because in the next few weeks I hope a) to travel a bit farther east and south of here (around Willcox) to view sandhill cranes at sunrise before they head back north and b) to spend an evening at Kitt Peak National Observatory with one of my daughters (the younger, unfortunately, is not officially old enough). The last one's scheduled for March 8, and then from March 10-11 I'm traveling down to Organ Pipe National Monument and the Pinacate Biosphere Reserve, in Mexico, for some wildflower photography. (Sorry Grandpa Bill and Grammie Gloria, I know you'll be in town; but I'm not taking the girls with me, and that's who you rightfully prefer to see, anyway!)

Oh, and today's my birthday! The first person to correctly guess my age will get a free signed copy of my book, Riverfall. If you already have a copy, I guess you only get the satisfaction of a correct guess. In other words: not much, sorry.

By the way, have you ever read the poet Lorine Niedecker? Odd. Interesting.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

happy birthday a day late, simmons! and you're 39 right?

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Yup, 39 is right! But don't you have a copy of my book already? (Or is that just wishful thinking....). Would you like another for one of your friends, etc.?

jd said...

Happy birthday. I was going to guess 27. Sandhill cranes are amazing birds. They spend their summers up here in Idaho. I hadn't realized they traveled that far south. That's a long way for such a big bird.