Friday, April 25, 2008

Micro Review: A Murmuration of Starlings


This summer I hope to catch up on a lot of poetry books I've been meaning to read over the last year, or more, but haven't gotten to for the usual reasons. School's not out just quite yet, but I still had the opportunity to read Jake Adam York's A Murmuration of Starlings, his second book.


So begins what I hope to be a series of micro reviews (that is, a paragraph or so) for each of the poetry books I read over the summer, probably one a week:


A Murmuration of Starlings
Poems by Jake Adam York
The Crab Orchard Series in Poetry - Open Competition Award


I finally had the opportunity to read A Murmuration of Starlings, and found it--as I expected--pretty damn excellent. This book, as with the first (Murder Ballads) though in a more focused way, gives me hope that poetry can matter in the larger context; that is, that it is good not just in its noble literary sense, but good also in the sense of making a difference in the world. Murmuration makes a difference, and I'm sad to say that there are not many poetry books that can make that claim, even as much as I like others, too (a statement that I realize won't make me popular among the poets, but so be it).


This one is essential.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I completely agree with you. I loved this book.