Thursday, June 19, 2008

In June I Consider My Poetry

Just a quick note to let folks know I've got two poems in the new issue of Isotope: A Journal of Literary Nature and Science Writing, published out of Utah State University. If you're not familiar with Isotope, you should be--it's one of the best place-based journals, print or online, out there. I've been a subscriber for a few years now and I'm delighted to be included in the current issue. In fact, I've got three extra hard copies of the journal, so if you'd like one, leave a comment or shoot me an email and I'll send you one.

The two poems are "Angelfish" and "In May I Consider My Websites." The latter is also included on Isotope's website, here. This issue also includes work by Mark Tredinnick, Sharon Fain, Tina Mitchell, and a host of others I'm delighted to be among.

I've also received a few bits of good news for other pubs, forthcoming still. My poem "Flare" will be in the next issue of Whiskey Island Magazine (here's the Duotrope link, since the magazine's site is currently down). My essay "The Sum of All Species" is in the current (or forthcoming, haven't gotten it yet) issue of Mid-American Review, winning the journal's 2007 Creative Nonfiction Award. The fine new online journal Anti- will be using a photo or two of mine on a forthcoming cover. An upcoming issue of Copper Nickel will include my long essay "The Biter on Tap: A Brief History of Craft-Brewed Beer," and Elsewhere: A Journal for the Literature of Place just accepted my neighborhood activist essay, "Vulpes Civano."

Don't worry, I'm still receiving more than enough rejections to keep me honest. I hope to get more submissions out after the next issue of Terrain.org (theme: Understory / Overgrowth) launches on July 10.

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

Wow! Congratulations on all your good news. (You've made me feel like a slacker...I haven't a single poem out looking for home, even worse I don't have any ready to leave the nest.) Good on ya!

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Well, many of these have been years in the works now, but thanks for the congratulations. The poems in Isotope, for example, were written in 2005, submitted in 2006, accepted in early 2007, and just appeared in this issue.

Clearly the answer for you is to write poems about garden design! On the other hand, you do have a wonderful book coming out this fall, so promoting that will keep you busy and--if it was anything like mine--still inspire you to write more.

Steven D. Schroeder said...

Shoot, looks like you're publishing more impressive places than little ol' Anti- anyway. :-)

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Perhaps, but you've set the bar pretty high for me nonetheless!

Justin Evans said...

Simmons:

I published at Isotope (when they were called Petroglyph) and I always seem to be missing their submission window.

I won't want a copy because I DO know how cool they are. You need to give them to a close friend or a relative.

Justin Evans said...

BTW, congratulations on all of the great news getting your work out into the world.

jd said...

I enjoyed the "In May I Consider My Websites" poem. Congratulations on the numerous published pieces. Sometimes everything seems to fall into place doesn't it, while other times it's as if no one wants to read submittals, much less publish them.

Sheryl said...

Wow, congrats! I look forward to reading the beer essay in the next Copper Nickel ;)

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Thanks all. Sheryl, I don't think it's the next one, but I'm not sure. It may be fall 2009 before it appears....