Saturday, December 13, 2008

Saguaro Ranch in Black and White

Egads, it's been a month since I've posted on my blog! Well, so it goes with the end of the semester and the next issue of Terrain.org out in only a month (and I'm way behind at that).

I'm hoping to post the photos I took from my landscape photography class, which just ended. I've posted the "Heaven and Hell in Tucson" shots, and now I'm posting some black-and-white photos from Saguaro Ranch, an elite enclave in the gorgeous foothills of the Tortalita Mountains north of Tucson. These go along with the editorial I wrote on desert transit for Next American City, online here. View the full gallery of thirty of these photos in larger format here.

Update on January 11, 2009: Uh oh, looks like there's trouble on the Ranch....




Saguaro Ranch has a unique entrance feature: a 700-foot tunnel through a mountain.



A light at the end of the tunnel, or an atomic blast? Curious. Very curious.



View of the Santa Catalinas from Saguaro Ranch, with a custom home in the foreground.



Perhaps the most beautiful place you'll ever see a port-a-potty.



Elegant saguaros and amazing mountain views from the road at Saguaro Ranch.



Building here is like building at a national park; certainly the area is as beautiful as Saguaro National Park, and as lush.



A bit farther south, a road construction vehicle near Oro Valley, north of Tucson.



Wash and dramatic view of the Catalinas from Catalina State Park.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Simmons these are great! The tunnel is spectacular and disturbing. I have some clients in this area with these big granitic boulders--it is a very cool part of Arizona--which like many cool parts of Arizona, we are compelled to build homes on.

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Thanks Scott. Compelled indeed. These are mostly third, fourth, and fifth homes, too.