Monday, January 19, 2009

Autumn in the Guadalupes

For several years I had been itching to get over to the Guadalupe Mountains of west Texas and southern New Mexico. Known primarily for their geological features -- the Guadalupes are the remnants of a large Permian reef that was part of a vast shallow sea that once covered the entire region -- I was more interested in the fall foliage. The Guadalupes, I've heard, have the largest collection of maples in the West.

Though the autumn flash may not rival that of New England, when the colors are combined with the stunning mountain landscapes, the area certainly surpassed all of my expectations.

I've finally had the opportunity to get the best photos, all 136 of them, into my gallery, which you can access here. But you may also be interested in the online version of a book of 38 photos (with captions) I put together for my landscape photography class, which gave me the excuse to finally head over to the Guadalupes the last week of October 2008.

Below are a sampling of photos. Then settle in for the larger show over at my gallery.








View the gallery at:
http://www.simmonsbuntin.com/images/gallery/2008/guadalupes/index.html

Or view the online book at:
http://www.simmonsbuntin.com/landscape/

4 comments:

Lauren said...

Simmons! Those pictures are absolutely breathtaking! I am so jealous of you, living in the beautiful desert and taking such great pictures.

BTW, a couple blog things. I don't really do my political blog anymore so you can take my link off your page, or i guess you could link to galateaspants.com instead. :) also, do you have that feature on your blog where folks can follow you? i've seen other blogspots blogs that do that.

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Hey Lauren, thanks for the suggestions! I've added the Followers gadget, and updated your blog link. Hope all is well!

JD Stein said...

Simmons, I must say your photographs seems to get better all the time, and they were remarkable to start with.

I hope all is well with you and your family.

leslie said...

Whoa.
The photographs are stupendous.
The Guadalupes are very unexpected out there in the big middle of west Texas. I actually got a twinge of homesickness looking at them.
Fabulous.