Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bacon and Banana Cream Pies

I'm getting ready to dig in for my last semester in the MFA program here at the University of Arizona, focusing on my nonfiction manuscript, as well as a bit of poetry writing. To that end, I thought I'd post a few quick lines of verse from my older daughter following a recent conversation we had:

Bacon and Banana Cream Pies

Yuck, I say. Yum, he says.
What a sick mind he has.
Crunchy creamy bananay all mixed together.
Dad, there must be something wrong with you.

~~~

Ah, the love!

And speaking of poetry, I review Suzanne Frischkorn's wonderful Lit Windowpane -- a book I had been waiting for for a long time and was definitely not disappointed by -- in the latest issue of Terrain.org: here.

Here are my next reads:
  • Half Lives, by Andrew C. Gottlieb (check out his three excellent poems, with audio, in Terrain.org's current issue: here)
  • Solace of the Aging Mare, by Dan Stryk (a wonderful poem and image by his artist wife Suzanne, also in current issue: here)
  • The Wild Iris, by Louise Gluck
  • Moy Sand and Gravel, by Paul Muldoon

And then I hope to dive into work by Seamus Heaney (again), Thomas Transtromer (Swedish, translated), Inger Kristensen (Danish, also translated?), and Bridget P, Kelly.

Who else do you suggest?

2 comments:

Lauren said...

good to see you blogging again! i hope you keep it up. :) let me know what you think of The Wild Iris. Here are a few other suggestions:

Enter Invisible by Catherine Wing
Boy with Flowers by Ely Shipley (he's a friend of mine!)
Facts for Visitors by Srikanth Reddy

Simmons B. Buntin said...

Thanks Lauren!